Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Special Day

Alright, I have not been posting for awhile and I apologize. When I do post they are short, and probably incoherent, but that is what happens when you are hitting insanity with school work, family life, and all the rest. Rant of the day... Valentine's Day. Seriously, is it that important to people? To me, Valentines Day is just a commercialized holiday, an easy way of economy. It's ridiculous. Today, a girl in class was saying that she can't have a test on Thursday because it's Valentine's Day the day before... suck it up princess. I'm sorry, but we're in 3rd and 4th year of university, and nobody is going to cancel an exam for your petty excuse of having to show your boyfriend you love him. The professors don't care, and I sure as hell don't give a rat's bum that you can't spend time with your honey.
Next point of rant.... shouldn't you show that you love and care for somebody all of the time? not just on one specific day of the year? I mean, c'mon... really. Do we really have to set aside a day to let people know that we want to spend time with them? When I was in high school (yes, I realize that was a few years back) a school friend of mine ended his life. It was super hard on his family and friends. Although I wasn't an extremely close friend of his, we did have our French class together, and joked around all of the time in class. Anyway, point is, is that although the tragedy occurred in the summer months, his birthday is right before Valentine's Day. So every year when February 14th comes around, I sit down and think about how you can't just tell somebody how you feel about them on one day of the year, whether it be telling your parents you love them, or your significant other. This is because you never know when the chance to tell them how you feel, will no longer be possible. The anniversary of my grandmother's passing is 3 days after Valentines day, so this also gets me thinking. Yes, grandma was old, but it still hurts every year to know that such a lovely lady is no longer in my life. This also makes me realize how important it is to let people know you care, not just on this one day of the year, but on a regular basis.
Thus, the moral of this is that Valentine's Day is not just about giving candy, and showering your loved ones with gifts, but is a reminder that every day is a day in which we should cherish our relationships, with our parents, friends, and significant others. With saying this, Happy Valentine's Day, today, tomorrow and every day!!

No comments: