Tuesday, January 23, 2007

My name stinks, but...

I lead a Sparks group... you know, a group of little stuck up, know it all, I'm the best, arrogant, whiny girls. No, really... I do love them to death, but sometimes they can drive you to complete insanity. So, yesterday was just not a good day. The last thing I wanted to do was go and hang out with my girls. I woke up at 8am to my fathers phone call, which I decided was only made because he was bored, and he wanted to wake me up on the day I wanted to sleep in. Also, my car was still MIA, my sister was nowhere to be found, and I had errands to run, with this reliable car I have. So I get ready for my day and proceed on my way to school. On the way out my apartment door, I fall on the ice patch because my landlords don't seem to understand the concept of clearing pathways when it snows so people can actually go out and in. I then run into this guy I knew from one of my first year classes, who I absolutely can not handle. He decides he should 'keep me company' all the way to school, when I much rather would have liked to go merrily on my way listening to my so called 'devil' music. Apparently Metallica is the devil... who knew? So, I get to Sociology class, to find out we are going to watch a movie... like I didn't already know that it's not the norm to grow up with only a day, that this could be a hardship for the children. I also didn't already know that a family can have only one mom, or only one dad, or a mom and a dad, or 2 daddies or 2 mommies. C'mon.... Okay, so I won't continue with the rest of my day, you get my point... it sucked. So I go to my Sparks group, and one of the girl so politely asks 'What is your real name Jewel?'. And so I tell her my name is Reena. She then asks the delightful, not so polite question. 'Ewwww, why is your name Reena?' Think my day was not bad enough? Okay. So, well my name is probably Reena because my parents decided to give me that name, and as much as I don't like it, I didn't feel like going through all of the hassle it is to deal with changing my name.... understandable? I think so. But of course the 6 year old disagrees. 'Your name is like weiners. And weiners are gross. So that means you're gross!... and then yells to the whole group... 'Look everybody, her name is Weiner! She stinks like Weiners'... alright. So I bite my tongue, and try to pretend its funny. But then one of the other very kind girls comes to me and says 'It's okay. My name is Martha. And I don't like my name. But, mom and dad liked it. So you learn to live with it. Really, I like your name.' So I conclude my night thinking... my name really isn't all that bad. Martha? who these days names their child Martha?? There are some parents out there that really don't choose well when picking names, but for the most part the moral of this story is there are just some kids who don't know how to keep their mouths closed when they really should.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Amen to that sister...little kids are...evil? strange? all of the above? Anyway, I like your name, but I named my son Reese...so there. Imitation? Could be, but anyway. Later dude.

Mike said...

See, what a pro would have done in that situation would have been to point out Martha's douchebag name and get the other kids in on making her feel like an outcast. I group can only have one major loser, and its time to focus the attention on her, weiner girl.

Now lets hear an update about how Martha's more of a weiner than you.