Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Back to Elementary School


'Okay class, here is your assignment. I will give you the full hour today to work on it.' This is NOT what I pay the university thousands of dollars to hear. If I wanted to work in class I would have failed elementary or highscool over and over again as many times as possible. I pay to be lectured, to learn something... or at least to hear somebody babble at the front of the class even though half of the time they don't really know what they are talking about. So, I leave class as soon as she says this, with full intentions of going up to my little study area, not to actually work on my assignment, but to visit with my equally 'not-very-enthusiastic-about-homework-at-the-moment' buddies. (The picture here is one I took out the window from our comfy little 'study' area.) So after sitting around for two hours accomplishing a whole lot of nothing but gossip and girl talk, I head to my next class, Human Neuropsychology, my last class of the day. Sounds tough right? Well, it probably will be, but the atmosphere makes it sound just as much as the last class, like highschool. The professor (or should I just say teacher) walks in and says 'Good afternoon class' and you hear an echo in the room 'Good morning'. Or, wait.. it's not an echo, really its just the whole class saying good afternoon to her. Seriously, when was the last time you had to actually say 'Good afternoon' in unison unless you were at some afternoon church service (which I will add, hasn't been the case for me) or elementary school?

Then the professor goes into saying 'Oh I love when my students say that' and continues on into a life story of basically each and every class she's ever taught and then finally... after rambling on about that and hyperventalating because she gets so excited about absolutely everything she says, she finally gives us a lecture. Today, topic of the class, brain recording and imaging. Interesting I suppose, but by this time all I was thinking about is what my mommy and daddy will make me for supper since I'm revisiting elementary school.

No comments: